Asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: I have a question regarding CSPA (Child Status Protection Act) for aged-out child

My aunt (US Citizen) sponsored my parent and I (was 12 at that time) to become US resident ("Greencard"). However, the wait time is 13 years. Our petition got approved back in 2009 (when I was 19)- but the cut off date is just become current. My name was not included in the immigration interview with my parents since I am already aged out (I am 25 this year). I am currently living in the state under H1B status. Would my parents be able to file for CSPA for my residency or I have already missed out on the opportunity due to number of waiting years? Please advise. I am not married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paris Lee
Paris Lee
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Edison, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The application of the Child Status Protection Act can be complicated. You should consult with an attorney to review the case. You need to secure the I-130 Approval Notice that your aunt filed for your parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.