College Park, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: Child Support Question (Family Law)

I am in the process of doing a Modification for Child Support, under the direction of my case worker for the Maryland Child Support Services. It states that I do not make enough to support the order stipulated by the Courts. My Question, on my paystub my GROSS income is 1714.52 with a Monthly Income of $3429.04. Now, under the amount stating my gross are " State Paid Benefits". These amounts are for recording purposes only and is NOT included as income. Can my ex-husbands attorney add those amounts back into the gross income for a higher monthly salary than that of $3429.04? Making my child support a ridiculous amount. On my W2 these amount are not included and my salary does not represent what she stated. What Maryland Law states that State Paid Benefits are counted as "Income" and should be accounted for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan M. Koslow
Evan M. Koslow
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: see Maryland Family Law Article Section 12-201(b)(3)(xvi) expense reimbursements or in-kind payments received by a parent in the course of employment, self-employment, or operation of a business to the extent the reimbursements or payments reduce the parent's personal living expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.