Asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: I filed a mod. request in Dec, when I lost my job. Court set for July and can't afford to continue making full payments

I have been making child support payments on time in full, but have been living off the kindness of friends to do so, as my income is currently unemployment. I can't continue doing this, and the mother refused mediation. I'm trying to take care of my obligations, but the length of time this is requiring is really putting me in a bad spot. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan M. Koslow
Evan M. Koslow
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Try to pay the full amount. If you can't at no fault of your own (which the court will determine) they can take that into consideration when determining what if any arrears you may owe (or not owe).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.