San Francisco, CA asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: if am a usa citizen and my ex its illegal immigrant can i get full custody?

we are getting divorced, he is illegally in the US, he has alcohol issues, and he was also verbally abusive when i left him. because he believes he has all the rights he always denies all the permission to go out of the country for vacations, he tells my first yes its fine and after i get the tickets he will say no, its your lost, anyway, he has threatened me about taking our son back to his country, he has visitations now, we have been separated since i was 3 months pregnant and he was never there until we went to court and agree on visitations, now we have a settlement on may and i want to know if i have a better chance to get sole custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan M. Koslow
Evan M. Koslow
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: it appears being an illegal immigrant is the lease of his concerns for obtaining custody. You should sit down with an attorney to discuss all of this (not just the illegal immigrant part)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.