North Brunswick, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: My father has a Green Card since 01/2011. He had to go back to take care of his mother because we couldn't find help. He

returned in Oct 2014 after 11 months of absence and could stay only 12 days because of the reasons stated above. Then he had a surgery, was hospitalized and his mother (my grandmother) died in April 2015, I went there and now he is ready to return to the US, but it will be about 7 months since he left last time. We couldn't apply for the re-entry permit, because it was taking 2 months at least and we didn't have care for the old grandmother and she was in bed. Is it anything I need to do to make sure he enters the country without problems? He is 67 years old. Should I write a letter of explanation for him to have in case he is questioned, he will have the death certificate and the hospital paperwork. Should I go and return with him in the same time? He won't be able to have a long fluent conversation in English at the border in case he is asked many questions. Is this an issue or he is actually ok because he is returning before 1 year passed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Chere Sequeira
Dawn Chere Sequeira
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bethesda, MD

A: Talk to counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.