Boston, MA asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: How do I get back child support taken from me by NY state during the same time I have had physical custody of my child?

I have physical custody as of 3/2/14 and was finalized on 11/6/15 but I was unaware that NY child support was still collecting even tho they have no jurisdiction on my daughter nor give any support to her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Your question depends on the court order in effect during the time in question. While you had physical custody was the court order changed to reflect that? If not then the argument is in favor of support continuing to remain as ordered. New York likely collected the money based on the original court order and not receiving any notice of a change. If you modified the custody order already you should just need to get that notice to the New York authority handling the withholding. If no court order was changed the order in effect could mean that you paid your spouse for the right to care for an extended visitation with your child. Contact and retain an experienced family law attorney to get you back to court and make the proper modifications as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.