Asked in Bankruptcy for Michigan

Q: Am in Chapt 13 no longer have atty. Want to sell coop have buyer.Worth $6000. Can I sell or will trustee take money

coop listed in schedule C 11USC 522(d)(5). Only paying 22% of unsecured creditors. Value of claimed exemption is $4000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David W Brown
David W Brown
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • lapeer, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It really would depend upon when your case was filed and in what court. About a year and a half ago the Eastern District of Michigan adopted a "model" plan for all cases. the model plan requires court permission to sell the asset. If your case was filed under a previous plan, you may not need court permission. That being said, I would suggest getting an order of the court permitting the sale.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.