Bristol, CT asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: I need to reopen a case

I filled in 2008 in Pennsylvania for child support and at the time the father lived in New York City. I was granted child support but he never paid it.In 2010 he was in arrears 30,000 dollars but went to jail.He came out last year and has been on probation but supposedly is employed but still will not help out so now I feel I have no choice e but to reopen the case.My question is where do I file? I live in Pennsylvania still and he is in New York but I don't have an address for him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Your question needs to be asked in Pennsylvania as the original controlling jurisdiction. It has no jurisdiction or legal relationship to Connecticut. Every state has its own laws regarding divorce. Asking your question in Connecticut would e similar to your asking the question in Russia. Different rules apply. While there are uniform agreements between states on child support the ruling primary state in this situation would be the one where the support was first ordered and the children reside.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.