Merrillville, IN asked in Family Law for Indiana

Q: My ex was court ordered to pay 87% of the child care 2 months ago. He hasn't paid any of it. How do I enforce?

I am in contempt by not putting utilities and such in my name but I haven't been able to afford it due to paying $1,200 a month in child care by myself. He's trying to appeal the part of the final order where the judge gives me equity so I don't know if his money is tied up in legal fees or what.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Coe
Timothy Coe
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: A cross petition to the contempt motion would have been the best thing to do. But failing to abide by a court order by any party can bring contempt sanctions. If you don't bring it up to the court, the court won't know about it. A motion for a Rule to Show Casue (i.e. contempt) is the means to enforce a court order.

Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.