Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Erik Carter
1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Indiana on
Q: Is there certain times of the day or week that you can file an appeal ?

In the state of indiana

Erik Carter
Erik Carter
answered on Dec 14, 2017

A Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days of a final appealable order. If the 30th day falls on a weekend or day that the Clerk of the Court of Appeals is closed, it rolls over to the next open business day. The Notice of Appeal must be accompanied by the filing fee or a request to waive... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Family Law for Indiana on
Q: Relocating out of state with daughter. If dad appeals, will it drag out the process if I need to move by a certain day?

He has supposed to have been paying child support since January but he hasn't paid anything yet and now has a court date set for May 10th because of it. He gets 90 overnights and we have agreed on everything thus far. We have not discussed this relocation with him but my current wife and I... View More

Erik Carter
Erik Carter
answered on Mar 30, 2017

This is not an appellate question, it is a custody/relocation question. Indiana Code 31-17-2.2-1 et seq. covers the notice requirements for a relocating parent and the options available to the non-relocating parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana on
Q: If your the non custodial parent how to seek custody if child has been left in your care the past 3 years?

the mother barely sees her child maybe once every couple of months doesn't buy anything for the child shoes clothes school supplies or anything for the past 3 years how do you get legal custody and child support? She barely calls to talk to the child and makes her feel like she's not... View More

Erik Carter
Erik Carter
answered on Feb 15, 2017

Your question implies that an Order exists that awarded custody to the Mother. You would file a Petition to Modify Custody with all the allegations you placed in your question. You should consider filing a Petition for Injunction to maintain the current situation, asking the Court to allow the... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.