Norwich, CT asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: Can my boyfriends ex wife legally do anything to him in regards to his home,

My Boyfriend divorced his ex 4 years ago. He was given the house as she could not afford the mortgage on her own. The mortgage is in her name and his name is quit claimed onto the deed. The divorce decree did state that he was to refinance but due to the market drop the home is not worth what he owes and the bank will not refinance to get her name off the mortgage. We are moving forward in our relationship and he wants me to move in with him. His ex is now telling him she has the right to "meet with and discuss something with the future occupants of her home" meaning me, but she won't state what she needs to talk about. Based on the texts it sounds as if she is subtly threatening to kick him out or take over the home. Can she legally do anything to him or tell him who can live there. He can prove he has made all payments on time over the last 4 years and even before the divorce.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Your question is dependent on the terms of the divorce agreement entered into by your boyfriend and his ex-wife. Without that agreement being read the answer can not be clearly given as the agreement would detail rights that could apply here. You also did not say whether the house was properly transferred to your boyfriend from the ex-wife. Tht would have bearing as most banks agree not to go after the ex-spouse who signed over a Quitclaim of their rights to a real property in accordance with a divorce decree. Your ex-boyfriend should take his divorce agreement to an experienced divorce attorney for a consultation and evaluation of his rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.