Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: Can I evict tenants who only paid rent twice since the moved in my building in April 2015 ,they also hasn't change the

Utility saying they can't get them in their name because they owed outstanding bills.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Harold Mazur
William Harold Mazur
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can certainly evict tenants who have missed rent payments. You will first need to serve them with the notice that is proper under Illinois law, as well as any possible local ordinances (i.e. - in Chicago or Evanston). The contents and service of the notice are highly technical, however, and should handled by an experienced landlord tenant attorney. The eviction process is complicated as well, so you would do best to contact a local landlord tenant attorney to discuss your needs. Many offer free consultations and some will even handle your case for a flat fee.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.