Findlay, OH asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: In marriage dissolution, is there any way that I would not have to come back in 90 days for hearing?

I will be getting a new job in Alabama and coming back up here in 90 days for a hearing would be a terrible inconvenience for me. It is a 12 hour drive. Is there anything I can do to avoid coming back in 90 days due to my relocating?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You have to be present but, I have on rare occasion used deposition testimony by clearing it with the court first.Talk to the attorney handling it. Another way to do it that would work is to convert the dissolution into a divorce, use the same agreement and only your spouse and witness would have to appear. Keep in mind, the hearing has to be not less than 30 nor more than 90 days so if you are not leaving until 30 days after the filing, you may be able to get the hearing in before you move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.