Kingfisher, OK asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: My fiancee is currently incarcerated.

When he first went in, he was dating someone else. He put down that he was married to her even though he wasn't. Now that we are back together, I cannot visit him because he's listed as married even though he's not. He even got proof from the county in which they lived stating that they were never married. However, that's not good enough for the Oklahoma Department of Corrections. He was told he will have to file for divorce but how can he do that if he was never legally married to this woman?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: "Common Law Marriage" comes to my mind. But, the facts are a bit sparse. Contact your local Oklahoma Family Law Attorney. TJP

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.