Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: Is there anything else I could use other than a birth certificate to change my name back to my maiden after divorce?

I was not born in the US, and can't get my birth certificate unless I go back to my home country (I do have a translated copy that was notarized years ago). I have a problem changing my name back to my maiden after a divorce because the provision about the name is not included in the divorce decree. I understand I need to petition for a name change, for which I need a birth certificate, or request amended divorce decree. I need an advice on how I should proceed, and which would be the fastest, easiest, and least expensive way.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes. You should make sure the language in the final decree expresses your desire to take back your maiden name. Then, get a certified copy of the original decree. The decree will usually be sufficient. But, there are exceptions that you will need to discuss with an Oklahoma attorney as they may relate to your situation. Thank you, for your question. TJP

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.