Columbus, OH asked in Adoption for Ohio

Q: I'm 42 years old and my biological father is unknown, even says so on my Birth Certificate. My step dad raised me.

Since I was 4 yrs old. We both want to fill the missing piece of our families puzzle by adopting me legally. Do we really need an attorney for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It will certainly be easier if you use a lawyer, but as long as this is a mutually desired thing and no one is objecting, you can probably get it done yourselves. The prospective adoptive parent needs to file a petition in domestic relations court. Also, if money is a concern, call your local legal aid society office. They may have form petitions for this sort of thing, which will get you started.

You should read this information:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.