Asked in Elder Law for Connecticut

Q: What are the usual evidence or required documents needed for a person to terminate a conservatorship?

Need information that applies to New York, Connecticut and the US overall.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: A conservatorship may be terminated when the person who is conserved makes a request in writing for the Probate Court to terminate the conservatorship. Generally the Court must hold a hearing within thirty days. The conserved person only needs to show that the conservatorship is no longer necessary by a "preponderance of the evidence" (which is a lower standard than “clear and convincing”). No medical records or evidence is needed but it could be helpful. If you are currently conserved you've either hired your own attorney or have had an attorney appointed to represent you through the court system. You should consult with this attorney immediately if you feed you would like to terminate the conservatorship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.