Ashtabula, OH asked in Business Law for Kentucky

Q: Who is responsible for a stock certificate?

I inherited stock from my parents. The company was recently bought out and I have to submit the certificates for the new company to get the new stock. I never received the stock certificate originally. It was sent to my brother (I assume since he was the executor of the will), and he never gave it to me. My brother has since died also. It's now going to cost me over 5K for the "lost" certificate to replace it. My question is shouldn't the company have issued the stock to me instead of my brother (they had my address)? What recourse do I have? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Adam Studnicki


A: If it's going to cost that much (sounds remarkably steep), it's certainly worth an hour consultation with a local business lawyer to determine your rights and options.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.