Salt Lake City, UT asked in Employment Law for Utah

Q: How do I find a Utah Supreme court ruling from several years ago?

There was a decision regarding a government agency, possibly a local police department that claimed the employee had no property rights to his position he tested and competed for. The police chief wanted to reassign the person to another classification outside the rank he had promoted to. Thanks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Swensen
Michael Swensen
  • Sandy, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I know this is an old questions so hopefully you have found what you are looking for. If not, you can go to the court website and look for older decisions. Here is a link to the website: . It allows you to select by year and then look for the parties. It's not the best system but it can work. If you don't know the parties then it may be more difficult to find your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.