Asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: Married for 4yrs. I want to buy us a house. Can I have her sign that I keep the house if she decides to divorce me?

I'm paying 100% for the house because my wife is currently looking for a job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Your question involves a post nup. This is an agreement between spouses that is similar to a pre-nup, where parties considering marriage enter into an agreement that seeks to protect each future spouse's pre-marital assets. A post-nup occurs after the parties are already married and are entering into an agreement so that one of the parties gives up something that party would otherwise be allowed in a divorce. Post-nups require some consideration, or giving to the one who is giving up some right, to be valid. Post-nup law is complicated and you and she will both need to retain an attorney to be sure it is upheld later in court. In a divorce the court will take into account your post-nup along with factors like the length and time of your marriage, your income versus your wife's income and the potential for both of you for future income, what other assets there are in the marriage to divide, who gets custody of the children, if any, what your wife did for the years she did not work and why she did not work, along with many other issues that can apply. Unless both you and your wife were represented in entering into this post-nup and the post-nup is properly entered into with full disclosures and your wife receiving something for giving up her rights of the marriage, the courts do not uphold them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.