Baker, LA asked in Collections for Louisiana

Q: Can I sue a creditor in small claims court for loss of wages after they harassed me so much at work that I was suspended

I defaulted on a loan but have paid the creditor back. In the initial onslaught of the default the creditor called my job every hour on the hour for a week. They threatened to show up there and discussed my defaulted loan with whomever answered the calls. At the time I was out of state at a training seminar. When I returned to work I was suspended for a month and lost quite a bit of wages. Can I sue them in small claims to recoup the wages I lost?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel John Ford
Samuel John Ford
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You likely have a case against the creditor based on the actions you described and may be able to recover your lost wages.Small claims court, however, may not be the best venue for your claims. There are both state and federal laws that may be in play here and a consumer attorney will provide you with the best options for your situation.

I recommend speaking to a Louisiana consumer attorney regarding the details of your situation so you can fully understand your options. Many consumer attorneys offer free consultations.

**Please note that the above is general information and not subject to an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.