Asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Can I sue my father's widow, for my part of his estate, he had no will, and no children with her.She has not spoke with

me since he died in 2008. I am concerned that her sister will take what belongs to my family not her family. I live in Missouri and she lives in Oklahoma. All of the property they had was join ownership. I want her to live comfortably , as my father wanted. i just think it was all kinds of wrong turning his child and grandson away at funeral . Never to speak again. until now. i worked with him on his farm , helped her in the house and dang it , I believe whole halfheartedly that she did wrong lawfully .. Can someone be of help ? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler R. Barrett
Tyler R. Barrett
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, if the property was owned by your father and his wife in joint tenancy, there is nothing you can do. The property passed automatically to her upon your dad's death, and she is now the legal owner of the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.