League City, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I'm 17 can I have sex with and eventually marry my 15 year old girlfriend when she's around 16 or 17 and I'm 18 or 19

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benson Varghese
Benson Varghese pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Pursuant to Penal Code 21.11, it is illegal in Texas to have sexual contact with an individual UNDER the age of 17, unless the accused is:

1. not more than three years older than the victim

2. the accused is of the opposite sex

3. the accused did not use force, duress or a threat

This also includes any touching, even through clothing, of the anus, breast, or any part of the genitals. Learn more about sexual assault of a minor, indecency with a child, and aggravated sexual assault in Texas: https://www.versustexas.com/custom-home/practice-areas/criminal-cases/state-crimes/felonies/indecency-with-a-child/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.