Chicago, IL asked in Divorce for Washington

Q: do i need to follow Washington law for divorce case even if i was married outside of the united states?

me and my ex got separated and she filed for a divorce case in WA state and getting spouse maintenance, we don't have marriage certificate here because we were married in Egypt, she is trying to delay the divorce here as much as she can , is it possible to divorce her at my home country and file this to the court? or she still can ask for her final divorce here in WA? wonder if i can use our marriage certificate to proof that we didn't marry here, do we still need to follow divorce process here in Washington even if we don't have any civil or court marriage certificate in the united states!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
  • Burlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If you live in Washington, Washington law governs the dissolution of your marriage, even if you were married in another jurisdiction. This type of jurisdictional arrangement is common in most all the U.S. states. You should consult a lawyer in the place in which you live, so if you live in Washington, consult a family law attorney in Washington.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.