Chandler, TX asked in Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: How to get simple assault dismissed between spouses?

It was all a misunderstanding and neither had any injuries of any kind. We had an argument, which was pretty bad, but any physical contact was accidental. I startled her walking up behind her and when she turned around she thru her arms up in disgust(from her dog) and caught me in the eye. I assumed it was intentional so I grabbed her shoulders in defense. I got mad and said I was leaving with the kids, which is why she frantically called the police. We told the same thing to the police when they arrived and they had us sign a paper saying we were not going to press any charges. Any help would be nice. Where to start? Who to contact? Worst case scenario? Thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian John Willett
Brian John Willett
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Arlington, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Contact the city prosecutor and explain the situation. If this doesn't work you need to contact an attorney who should be able to work out a deal to have your case dismissed. You may have to jump through some hoops to get there but it should happen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.