Portland, OR asked in Health Care Law for Oregon

Q: what practice area covers mentally ill persons and their inability to maintain their own care?

My sister is declining rapidly

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremy R. James
Jeremy R. James
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I am sorry to hear about your sister's situation. It sounds like you or someone else in the family should consult with an attorney who handles guardianships. That attorney may recommend petitioning a court to appoint you or another qualified individual as your sister's guardian. Typically, a guardian assumes control of a protected person's affairs and must report to the court and any other interested persons from time to time. Good luck with a very difficult situation.

Disclaimer: I am not your attorney. The information shared here is not intended to be legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.