Oregon Health Care Law Questions & Answers

Q: I've been paying my work for healthcare. found out last week I haven't been covered since May. do I get a refund?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Aug 14, 2018
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
This would be an unlawful deduction, and you would be entitled to the refund and then some. Of course, if they are saying they still had to pay the insurance company, and let's say they did, then your employer is likely off the hook, but the health insurer has some explaining to do if they were taking the money.

Q: My wife is on my insurance through work, and we are both being sued for her medical bills. It's that legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Feb 12, 2018
Gregory L Abbott's answer
Spouses are generally legally liable for necessary medical bills even if they did not sign the agreement at the doctor's office. So yes, it is likely that they can come after you for payment. Calling you at work everyday is a different matter. Depending upon the exact details, that may or may not violate Oregon debt collection laws and, depending who is doing the calling, possibly federal collection laws as well. If so, there are statutory damages and you can potentially recover your...

Q: Seeking info on filing for POA/Guardianship of severely mentally handicapped/I'll brother, ODOC inmate

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Aug 11, 2017
Joanne Reisman's answer
You can't get step by step details how to do this posting on the internet. You need to hire a lawyer to help you with this. Hopefully you have money to do this but you could also contact legal aid if you need to. It sounds like he has an attorney helping him with the Habeus Corpus suit, at least I hope so.

Q: I am part of a mesh lawsuit for organ prolapse

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Jun 5, 2017
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
If you do not have your own attorney for this, you should get one. If you do have one, this is a question for them.

Q: Why is it that only a child can inherit a house, not a grandchild who has kept grandparent out of nursing home 2 years?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Apr 19, 2017
Kenneth V Zichi's answer
Who told you this? PROVIDED your grandmother is of sound mind and she WANTS to leave the house to you, she can. If she wants to give the house to charity she can do that too. If she wants to give the house to the local fire department so they can burn it down as a training exercise she could do that too. There is no 'law' that requires giving anything to anyone.

If you mean she can't 'give' it to ANYONE because that gift would make her ineligible to receive Medicare, then your question...

Q: My sister and I jointly own the house in which we both live. Can doctors and hospitals put liens on the house for bills?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Mar 15, 2017
Vincent J. Bernabei's answer
If health care providers file suit and obtain a judgment against your sister, the judgment becomes a lien on any real property owned by your sister in the county where the judgment was entered. Generally, claims of creditors will attach only to the debtor's interest in the property, not to the co-owner's interest in the property. If you and your sister own the home with rights of survivorship, and she survives you, then the entire equity, minus a statutory homestead exemption, may be subject...

Q: Can A ED Doctor Treat A Minor Without Consent Of Minor Or Parent?

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Child Custody, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Oregon on
Answered on Dec 11, 2016
Joanne Reisman's answer
Not my area of specialty but I believe there is legal grounds for a temporary hold (24 hours or 72 hours or something like that) if the police suspect that the person could harm themselves or others. So yeah, it's legal. As for contacting or not contacting your parents, I am not sure what the law says. Normally parents have to be contacted if there is something concerning a minor, but I would imagine that there is an exception if there is concern that the parents could be part of the...

Q: what practice area covers mentally ill persons and their inability to maintain their own care?

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Oregon on
Answered on Jul 24, 2015
Jeremy R. James' answer
I am sorry to hear about your sister's situation. It sounds like you or someone else in the family should consult with an attorney who handles guardianships. That attorney may recommend petitioning a court to appoint you or another qualified individual as your sister's guardian. Typically, a guardian assumes control of a protected person's affairs and must report to the court and any other interested persons from time to time. Good luck with a very difficult situation.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.