Miami, FL asked in Tax Law for Alabama

Q: When a tax lien for unpaid property taxes is purchased does the tax lien holder have legal right to enter the home?

I paid for the house in cash so no mortgage is due on the home. I have not paid taxes for two years. Tax sale was 5-20-14. Person who purchased lien on 7-6-15 but actually changed the locks on the house before they paid the taxes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: In short, no. Based on your question, I would guess that the person likely holds either a tax certificate or a tax deed (one may demand a tax deed three years after they acquire a certificate of sale, i.e. a tax certificate). In any event, they are not owners of the property in fee simple, and they therefore do not have the right to enter onto the property and change the locks without the owner's permission. You still have a right to redeem the unpaid taxes. This area of the law is fairly complex, and I would recommend consulting an attorney. If you are located in Mobile or Baldwin County and you feel like you need an attorney to assist you, please feel free to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.