Asked in Probate for Alabama

Q: My dad died and my stepmother did not probation his will am I entitled to anything that was my dads?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman III
Mr. James Parrish Coleman III
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: An important question here is when did your father die? Wills may be probated no more than five years after the death of the decedent. Thus, if your father has been dead for longer than five years, the will may no longer be probated. If he died less than five years ago, anyone with a claim to the estate may have the will probated, including creditors and heirs. As an heir, you could have the will probated yourself. If you're in Mobile or Baldwin County, feel free to contact me if you would like help in this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.