Asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: I have an ex girlfriend in GA who may have given birth to my child.She will not speak to me so I can find out? wht can

I have been told this child looks just like me.I have tried time and time again to talk to her about this with no reply.When she became pregnant I was at all her dr appts.She told the dr that I was the father.What can I do to figure out if this is my child?I'm in Illinois she is in Gorgia

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Harold Mazur
William Harold Mazur
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Depending on how long she and the child have been living in Georgia, you will need to file a parentage action in Georgia. You should start by asking for referrals for family law attorneys in Georgia or use the "Find a Lawyer" link near the top of the page to start your search.

I'm assuming you weren't present for the birth of the child, are not on the birth certificate, and also did not sign a VAP (voluntary acknowledgement of paternity). Signing a VAP or being on the birth certificate create presumptions that you are the biological father, but even without them there are ways to have a paternity test ordered as part of a parentage case. Speak to a Georgia family law attorney as soon as possible.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.