Marion, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: I live in illinois and was wondering if I could sue him for back child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Harold Mazur
William Harold Mazur
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your question is incomplete, but if the father of your child was ordered by a court to pay child support and has fallen behind in payments, then Yes you can sue him for the back support plus statutory interest on the payments in arrears. If there has never been a court order concerning support, you should begin court proceeding as soon as possible to get one put in place. A judge may or may not order some back support when putting a new order in place.

Lastly, this is not something you should attempt to do on your own. Get in touch with some local family law attorneys and find one that is the right fit for you. He/she will help you navigate the legal process smoothly and make sure the proper orders are put in place.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.