East Saint Louis, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: My window was broken into and my landlord will not replace the window. Is this illegal?

She said that if she sent someone out to look at the window and nothing was wrong with it that I would have to pay the service charge. Is this illegal as well?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Harold Mazur
William Harold Mazur
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: While I wouldn't deem it illegal per se, it is generally your landlord's responsibility to make such repairs. Give your landlord notice in writing of the broken window and your need to have it fixed. Mail it via certified mail with return receipt requested. Then, if the landlord doesn't repair it within 14 days, consult with a local landlord tenant attorney who can advise you of your legal options at that point. Depending on where the apartment is, you might have the right to repair the window yourself and deduct the cost from your rent, but as I said, consult with an attorney before doing anything yourself.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.