Hampden, ME asked in Family Law for Maine

Q: Can my husband withhold money from the children and I while we are living in different states? He is in the Army.

We live in Maine while he is posted in Hunter Army Air Field, Savanna Georgia. He has been sending us two allotments, one on the 1st and one on the 15th, for the past 2.5 years. Now he has taken out the second allotment, saying that his commanding officers told him he is only required to send us about $700 each month and that I have to ask for any more money that I might need. The checkbook I use up here to manage the household is a joint account and some of his bills, such as college loans and car insurance are paid with it. I need $2500 just to pay all the bills that come out of this checkbook. I am a stay home parent of 3 special needs children while receiving treatment for a mental illness myself. He says that he will not change the allotment back to what it was before. What are my rights and obligations, and what can I do? What are his rights and obligations, and what can he do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Talk to the commanding officer to verify that your husband was accurate when he related what the C.O. said. Assuming this is true, you don't appear to have much choice but to sue your husband for separation or divorce, including child support and perhaps alimony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.