Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Joe Lewis

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Maine on

Q: What are my options if I'm taken to court for back child support after 11 years

My ex wife is taking me to court. My second child was born after our divorce , we never had agreement signed for child support. I've been paying for my first child all this time through the court order and gave money towards my second child's needs, but now after 11 years she wants back child... Read more »

Joe Lewis answered on Jul 31, 2018

Hi there.

Tough situation, of course, but there is good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that the courts will only look back over the past six years, not the full 11. The other good news is that many payments you made to her toward support of your second child (clothing,...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Maine on

Q: My husband and I just moved from NC to Maine. We have lived in Maine two weeks. Where do I file for legal separation?

We lived in NC for 4.5 years. We just moved to Maine (and have been here only a couple of weeks). However, it looks like we can't file for separation or divorce in Maine until we've lived in Maine for 6 months. Do we have to file in NC? I don't want to stay with him for the next 6 months, until we... Read more »

Joe Lewis answered on Mar 5, 2018

Actually, there is no 6-month minimum for a judicial separation as there is with divorce. The only requirement other than being married is that you plan on living apart or have already lived apart for 60 consecutive days. The other differences between divorce and legal separation are pretty... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for Maine on

Q: My wife and I have an amicable agreement regarding marital property and money. Do we still have to fill out form 43?

Joe Lewis answered on Jan 22, 2018

Not necessarily. There is a form on the court's website called "Certificate in Lieu of Financial Statement" that enables you both to tell the court that there is no need to fill out the FM-043 form because you agree on all the financial issues.

Congratulations on getting this done...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Maine on

Q: Grandfather died,left everything to my deceased father. My cousin wants me to sign a non-compete form. Why?

Due to issues with my mother and my grandfather, I never knew my grandfather. My grandfather passed away in August 2017, and left everything to my father, who died in 2002. The only one that had a relationship with my grandfather, is my second cousin. My second cousin has been excluded from the... Read more »

Joe Lewis answered on Jan 22, 2018

You totally have something to do with it ... if you want to inherit the crappy home trailer and anything else that might be in your grandfather's estate. Based strictly on what you are sharing here for information, it seems like you (and any of your siblings) are in line to inherit your father's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Maine on

Q: What should you do when you know that your ex has lied/omitted financial information on a child support affidavit ?

listing base salary only,saying TBD on retirement,not listing court ordered life insurance,not listing stocks and invested interest in business,not listing bonuses,minimizing amount in savings/checking-he owes me 91% of uninsured medical for our oldest son and we are reviewing original amount on... Read more »

Joe Lewis answered on Dec 26, 2017

Hi there.

The only financial information on the child support affidavit that always matters is gross income. The definition of gross income is a hotly litigated issue in a lot of child support cases. The relevant statute can be found here:...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maine on

Q: My dog bit my wife when I had my children and the Mom is refusing my visitation because of it. What can I do?

The dog is a puppy and my wife provoked the dog trying to take away something he shouldn't have had and that is the only time the dog bites if we yell at him and try to take away the object he's not allowed to have

Joe Lewis answered on Dec 18, 2017

As always, if you have court-ordered rights to visitation and your co-parent is getting in the way of that happening, you can simply take her back to court on a motion to enforce or a motion for contempt. If this is a persistent thing, or part of a larger co-parenting problem, you may wish to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Maine on

Q: what do I need to do to change custody from shared to sole when the other parent has agreed to sign off in Maine?

My son's biological father hasn't see him in 5 years and I am now married with another child. My husband is enlisted and we are being stationed in Washington state. My son's father is willing to sign the paperwork.

Joe Lewis answered on Nov 2, 2017


Assuming that the shared custody order was a Maine order, you and your child's father should be able to file a stipulated motion to modify that order to reflect your desired change to sole parental rights and responsibilities. It is important to provide the court with a draft order...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on

Q: My 16 year old daughter hates my rules and wants to live with her dad. Will I have to pay him child support now

My daughter is out of control. It's very hurtful. She thinks she's an adult at 16 and hates that I have rules. She said she's moving in with her dad even if I say no. Her dad was court ordered to pay me weekly child support. I've done everything for her. School, rides, doctors, you name It. All... Read more »

Joe Lewis answered on Aug 17, 2017

The only way to modify a child support obligation is via a motion to modify child support. Even if your daughter is living with her father, his court order remains in place, and the obligation will be enforceable.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on

Q: I need to file a Motion to Enforce and Motion to Modify. Can I do this at the same time in Maine?

Joe Lewis answered on Aug 17, 2017

Yes, you can!

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Maine on

Q: I am 17 and pregnant and I live with my parents. Who is the legal guardian of my baby once they are born?

Joe Lewis answered on Jun 28, 2017

Congratulations to you!

When your baby is born, you will be the legal guardian of your baby.

Do your best and have fun!

- Joe

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Probate for Maine on

Q: My mother died and I am her only son. She lived with her boyfriend who was her p.o.a due to her illness. Do i get inheri

Am I inherited any of her life insurance money or does her power of attorney get all control of it

Joe Lewis answered on Jun 12, 2017

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Now that your mother is dead, the power of attorney that her boyfriend had is no longer in effect.

There are a lot of variables to consider when trying to figure out what happens to her estate generally, and you should definitely contact a probate...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Maine on

Q: Demanding money to sign quit claim deed extortion?

Had 90 days to refinance, paid loan off 5 years in because bank wouldn't refinance. maliciously, She threatened contempt because loan wasn't paid in time 16 years after the fact unless we give her money to sign quit claim deed. Which is court ordered for her to do. I feel like that's extortion.

Joe Lewis answered on Jun 12, 2017

Well, it probably isn't extortion, a word that has a precise legal meaning, but it does sound kind of rude.

Contempt won't work against you if you've already paid off the loan. In other words, you've done what you were told to do, albeit too slowly. On the other hand, if she has been...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.