Middletown, CT asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: Third Party Visitation Question:

I filed for modification of custody and visitations. The parties to that case were: I (plaintiff) and my ex-husband (defendant). On January 5th 2015 Stamford Superior Court (in CT) ruled on the case and I was given full sole custody of our daughter and my ex-husband’s visitation schedule was changed. My ex-husband asked the court if the visitation schedule with our daughter can extend to his wife (at that time) and their children because he was incarcerated. The court extended the visitations for his wife and children. On July 29th 2015 my ex-husband and his wife were divorced. His ex-wife now is taking me to court in Danbury, CT seeking visitations with my daughter. Does the Danbury, CT court have jurisdiction to decide this case since her visitation with my daughter was already ruled on and is part of the case from Stamford, CT?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: I assume the ex-wife is acting on her own without an attorney. You can either file a motion to consolidate the Danbury case with the Stamford case and seek a motion to dismiss if her motion is not supported by the rules for modification of the present order. Based on her no longer being married to your ex you could also try your own motion for modification asking the order allowing her visitation to terminate claiming her lack of being married to your ex is a sufficient change to warrant modification. Your success in all of this is made more certain by your retaining an experienced family law attorney to represent you. The suggestions made here on based on the facts you present and may not be what you can actually do once all the proper facts are known. Consult with an attorney directly for your best answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.