Bethel, AK asked in Adoption for Alaska

Q: Would my mom be able to adopt my baby without any trouble from the baby's dad. Because he left after I told him.

I'm 17, I don't want the baby's dad to meet her or have anything to do with her because I'm going through this alone. I don't want him on the birth certificate and I'm not asking him for child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: For a child to be adopted in Alaska (as well as in most other states), you have to make reasonable efforts to give him notice of the adoption proceeding. Since you know who he is, your mother would have to serve him with process. This doesn't mean that he can successfully object, but he has to be given notice.

Stefan Otterson agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.