Minneapolis, MN asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota

Q: Can I sue my ex husband?


I have been divorced for 3 years now. My ex husband refuses to refinance or sell the house we still own together. I don't live in the house, he does. He has failed to pay the payment over 17 times. I would like to know if and how I can sue him for the half of the house, I have gone through mental and emotional distress from this. My credit is completely ruined and will not get any better unless my name is off of the mortgage, not just the deed. I will not do a quitclaim because it does not get my name off of the mortgage. I have the house listed for a short sale but he refuses to do that or refinance. I want to sue him for personal injury in the amount of half of what the house is worth. I have also sent out multiple letters and texts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You need to go see a local attorney, perhaps the attorney that helped you with the divorce. It depends upon what the divorce documents say.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.