Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: How can I purchase my property with clean title if one owners part wasn't recorded until 5 months after purchase?

There were several owners to the property I purchased. One of the owners had her deceased husbands name on that part of ownership. It is recorded that this was not changed until 5 months after it is recorded I purchased the property. Is my title and deed valid if this one owner wasn't actually... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Oct 9, 2020

You have not clearly stated the chain of title. But without knowing more, it will be critical that your widow grantor conveyed her interest to you by warranty deed. That is because if she in fact gained title to the property after she conveyed to you, it immediately inured to your grantee... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: How do I calculate life estate remainder interest value? Please help.

Won't let me edit main question, but please read-on... I purchased my fathers remainder interest last year at a value based on Minnesota's "Life Estate Mortality Table" which seems to be the same for all states. I fixed-up the home and am selling so will need to calculate value... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jul 8, 2020

Your basis in the remainder interest is what you paid for it plus any other costs of acquisition, such as recording fees and documentary transfer taxes, if any, and title and escrow fees, if any. As far as the sale price goes, it is whatever the market will bear. Consulting actuarial tables is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: We bought a house with water damage, had an inspection but it either missed it or it wasn’t present. What can we do?

The ceiling in the downstairs bathroom had a leak. Neither is, our realtor and our inspector saw this leak. We had the inspection in May and in July we moved in due to the current owners preference. They are refusing any compensation and I cannot prove they knew about the leak. We noticed the... Read more »

Mark William Perron
Mark William Perron answered on Apr 27, 2020

First, with regard to the inspector, you would need to look at the agreement and see if there is any language that limits the company's exposure. If there is nothing in there and the leak was obvious as to where the inspector should have known about it, you could bring a civil claim against... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Minnesota on
Q: Separated but married, selling house and she received 2K from buyers today. Does she need to give me half?

She is refusing to give half, is she able to do that?

Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse answered on Mar 4, 2020

By "separated," I assume you mean living apart, not legally separated. If you are married, you will both need to sign to transfer ownership of the house. You can refuse to sign unless you get a portion of the proceeds. I would contact the closing company and make them aware that you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Construction Law for Minnesota on
Q: If someone piled grave on my lots without asking to do so do they have the right to it

The county had another company haul in gravel and pile it up on my personal lots and I knew nothing about it and now they want to lay claim to it

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 27, 2019

A Minnesota attorney could advise in the best manner, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general rule in virtually any jurisdiction, the homeowner does not get a windfall from the mistake of the county or its contractor in such a situation. Most anywhere, the gravel would be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can a title be transferred to a Trust at closing after a seller has pre-signed paperwork?

The seller won't be at closing and pre-signed all paperwork but the title needs to be transferred to a trust without ever being put into the name of the buyer. It needs to go directly into a Trust. Can this be possible if the seller pre-signed?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 24, 2019

If the seller has already signed the deed to the buyer, then no, not without having the seller sign a deed directly to the trust instead, and if you are going to do that, then there are other papers that will need to be signed and some redone as well. There needs to be an assignment of escrow from... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: I am getting a restraining order against my neighbor, can that also stop him from using the easement on my property?

The neighbor yells threatens and swears at me often. He is upset that I did not plow his driveway this winter. ( yea he is a little not so normal ). I have had to call the cops. They want me to get a restraining order against him. If I do so can I also stop him from using an easement that runs... Read more »

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher answered on Jun 25, 2019

In Minnesota, the court may grant a Petition for a Harassment Restraining Order on an ex parte, temporary basis (or might not). If it does, the Ex Parte HRO would need to be served on the Respondent. Then the Respondent would be subject to the Ex Parte HRO but would have the right to request a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is an email from a realtor enough to negate a signed contract to represent a home buyer? No home has been purchased.

My niece is a first time home buyer and has had dealing with two disreputable realtors who manipulated her into signing lengthy contracts. The first released her from the contract via email, and the second refused to submit a bid on a desirable home until she signed a contract. She made it clear... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 30, 2019

This does not sound like your problem; this sounds like your niece's problem. And since your niece's problem raises important contractual and legal questions that can injure your niece, I highly recommend that you tell your niece to consult with a real estate lawyer before she does... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Car Accidents for Minnesota on
Q: Can a 12 year old boy go to jail for fighting a girl for the first time
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 19, 2019

Unlikely unless there were significant injuries. However everything depends on circumstances--what do witnesses say, who started with the fighting part etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: In MN, Can you get out of your apartment lease with a 60 day written notice?

My boyfriend (husband now) gave his apartment complex a 60 day written notice when he decided to move in with me after not living in the apartment for a couple months. it's been 3+ years and now I see on his credit report that he has been given over to a collection agency for delinquent... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

You and your new husband have a very serious legal problem that cannot be solved by discussing what your husband told you was "his understanding" that all he had to do was give his prior landlord a 60 day written notice before moving out of the apartment he rented before meeting and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is there a way to sell my house if the other person on the title doesn't want to sell
Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 27, 2018

Talk to a lawyer about a partition action.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is there a need for a title search before purchasing raw land?

Have verbally agreed to a price to purchase raw land with lake frontage. To my knowledge there has never been any improvements or structures on the property and the land has been owned by the current owners for at least 50 years.

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Sep 2, 2018

You can keep your fingers crossed and hope that nothing is irregular or you can have a title search conducted and find out for yourself.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: What form do we fill out to transfer home from joint to single? Husband and wife bought a house, paid it off, divorced.

Wife continued living in home still jointly owned; ex-husband remarried and owns a home in another state. Ex-husband is terminally ill and wants first wife to own joint home outright. He is concerned that current wife would inherit his share of Minnesota home, under Pennsylvania marital property... Read more »

Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun answered on Aug 7, 2018

A quit-claim deed or a warranty-deed would be the way to do it

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: I am supposed to close on a home later this month, however wife and I filing for divorce, can I somehow cancel purchase?

Or will I be penalized in some way?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Jun 11, 2018

The terms of your contract should be able to provide you with the answer to that question.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: I purchased a house on a CFD from my parents. Could I sell the home before the balloon pymt is due? Who collects equity?

Would this be a capital gains issue for my parents? I am thinking it is a $40k gain; still have 5 years on CFD.

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Jan 11, 2018

Your parents still have legal title to the property. You should check the specific language of the contract to see what you can and cannot do, and what happens in any given scenario.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Estate Planning for Minnesota on
Q: how can i prove the last will and testament is not true that my estate has been taken from me by my fathers family,

this has happen in the state of arizona and how do i proceed in minnesota, how do i ubtain a legal copy of the last will and testa ment

Scott Maki
Scott Maki answered on Dec 14, 2017

Hello, Thank You for your question! Unfortunately, the work you need to do is with the Arizona court where this was handled, not in a Minnesota court. But regardless, to get started, you will need a copy of the Will. Luckily, a Will that went through probate is a matter of public record (I am... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Should I agree to quit claim time share instead of foreclosure? Mortgage is paid. Money owed (1800) is for dues.

Both my ex-wife and I are on papers sent by law firm. So both need to sign. However, since divorce we both have different last names than what is on paper work sent by law firm representing time share. Is this an issue? If we do quit claim are we still required to pay $1800.

Michael Hales
Michael Hales answered on Dec 6, 2017

I imagine that you already have this wrapped up, but just in case I would usually recommend signing if you don't want to be owners anymore. You should not have to pay the $1800 unless it is stipulated in the cancellation agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: My clients have purchased a mn home and there was no mention of association or covenants in the property disclosure.

Now that the buyers have seen the covenants they want to cancel - will they get their earnest money back?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Nov 16, 2017

Those are documents that: a) a purchaser would typically take subject to; and b) are readily available in the public records; and c) would be swiftly disclosed as part of the title search. So I would be quite surprised if a purchaser would have grounds to cancel the contact based upon same.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: My house is in my mother in laws name. ive lived in it 11yrs. Do I have any stake in it?

The verbal agreement is it will be put in mine and my husbands name after some other debt was paid. Which it has. I'm now getting a divorce. Am I entitled to any equity?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Nov 2, 2017

You should have a lawyer help you with the divorce. At first blush, I would say that it is unlikely you will have a stake in the house. If your mother-in-law transferred the husband to your soon to be ex and you paid for part of that bargain, you may be able to make the argument but I would not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: getting rid of timeshare

I purchased a timeshare in Las Vegas with my wife, before we were married. She has since passed away. I no longer want the timeshare, but was told I cannot sell it or give it away because I need to find all of her potential heirs and have them release their claims on the property first. Is this... Read more »

Michael Hales
Michael Hales answered on Sep 18, 2017

The answer to this will likely have some state law issues that I could not answer. However, there are ways that an attorney could help you cancel this timeshare. I wrote an article for my state's bar publication last year that will have important information for you and your attorney. You can... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.