Glenview, IL asked in Collections for Georgia

Q: I once had Sprint serviced back in 2008, I left that phone company to go to another and I still owed a balance

That phone company is still on my credit because they updated the late paymentsto the credit bureau so does the SOL from the last date I paid or the date which they updated

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Usually from the date of the breach of contract.

David B. Levin
David B. Levin
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: The 7-year limit on reporting delinquent debt begins on the date that the account becomes delinquent and is never current again. So, the answer to your question is probably "neither," but would be that point in time slightly later than your last payment when you failed to make a payment when due and then never made another one . Changes made by the creditor, transfer to a debt collector or debt buyer, etc. does not re-set the time limit. However, there are certain actions you can take that can start the reporting period over, such as entering into a payment agreement or making a payment of even $1.

*David Levin is the Partner in charge of UpRight Law's consumer rights litigation department. UpRight Law is a national law firm with licensed attorneys providing bankruptcy and consumer legal services in all 50 states. He is licensed in Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia, as well as several United States District Courts. He has 22 years of litigation experience, the last 18 of which have been focused on consumer rights litigation. This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your state with the appropriate expertise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.