West Hartford, CT asked in Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut

Q: Tenant gave notice to move but has not payed the last months rent do we evict, take to small claims court, keep security

The tenant feels he should not have to pay the last months rent as he wants to move out on October 18th in the middle of the month and just pay partial rent. We said he needs to pay for the whole month so he just hasn't paid anything. The lease was originally a year to year lease but rolled over to a month to month lease starting with the first of the month. He has also refused to fill the oil tank which is in the lease that it needs to be filled on exiting the premises. We do have his security deposit but the lease states that we won't use this as the last months rent. Do we evict him? Can we then take him to small claims court for the October rent? Can we hold the security deposit until he pays rent? What rights do we have? Since he hasn't paid rent can we still go in and show the house. He says we cannot.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Evidently he has not yet moved out, so it is unclear what you mean when you ask if you can hold the security deposit. Of course you can, until he has moved out.

When he does move out, you apply the deposit to any damages, to rent he owes, and to fill the fuel tank. He gets whatever is left over. If he stills owes you something, you sue him.

Normally yes, you can show the house if he has given notice. What does the lease say about this?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.