Aurora, CO asked in Libel & Slander for Colorado

Q: My ex is telling everyone that I am a meth addict. I am not and have taken a hair follicle test. What can I do

We are in a custody battle, I requested the drug tests myself and have already taken and passed mine. He won't stop telling people I am a junkie and an addict or a dead beat mother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Ah divorces... it brings out the best in people. From a legal perspective, you husband can make the claim and a court may (emphasis MAY) order a review (be aware that you can recover attorney fees and court cost if it is subsequently shown your ex is abusing the judicial system). As for your ex's unkind words, this gets more difficult. You theoretically could file a slander suit, but this will be cost prohibitive and create a lot of problems. You can inform the family court judge of your husband's actions and seek an injunction/TRO on your husband (the changes of success vary by the judge, but your chances improve if your ex is contacting an employer or telling the children/child). If you haven't already done so, I suggest your hire an attorney. Nasty custody disputes require legal representation to protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.