Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Can I sue for defamation for a neighbor spreading lies about our dog?

Our neighbor has been spreading lies about our dogs for years. Saying they were viscous, they have attacked them, etc. Our dog got into some trouble and their lies caused the situation to escalate quickly and resulted in our dog being taken away for 6 weeks, and going through a whole ordeal. In... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jun 8, 2021

Unfortunately, no because Colorado views dogs as property so that would be like suing for defamation for someone spreading lies about your couch. But you will need representation if you have been cited for a criminal violation by animal control. If you can prove your neighbors engaged in abuse of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: When are constant calls from animal control harassment? And what can be done?

My dad has a great Pyrenees Moutain dog. The dog lives outside to protect the chickens. Animal control has come to confirm that he has, food, water, shelter, and updates on his shots. We provided all of this and they said we are good But someone in our neighborhood is constantly calling in about... Read more »

Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone answered on Mar 30, 2021

Your dad is being lied to. Have him submit a Colorado Open Records Request (most have a form on their websites) to the law enforcement entity(s) asking for all records of all complaints related to his address for the past year. Those are PUBLIC records and more importantly they are records... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Contracts and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: A delivery person forged my signature on a home delivery. Can I sue? If so, how do I proceed?

I ordered a $3000 computer from Amazon. It was delivered today. I needed to sign for it, so I made sure to be home. An hour ago, I looked outside and it was sitting on my porch. Checking Amazon, it said that I had signed for it, which I had not. Apparently, the delivery person forged my signature.... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Feb 12, 2021

The purpose of a civil suit is to recover damages in order to make you whole. You've not articulated any damages.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Defense and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Person moved but still continue s to use old address as proof of address
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 15, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a month. If it was done close to the time of moving, it could have been an oversight. At any rate, correcting it could help avoid future headaches. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Health Care Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Is it legal to photograph the inside of classrooms when there is no student info in the photos at all?

Are people allowed to take photos inside of schools? Being sure to keep all personal information out of the photo.

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 19, 2020

You would have to check with the school district on their policies, however there is no law that prohibits taking photographs inside of schools.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Family Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: For the last year I have been dealing with my boyfriend’s ex. I have dealt with defamation and lies she makes up on

social media. She constantly makes various profiles to try and contact me and has added my friends and family. Over the last year she has sent people to break my car windows on 4 separate occasions, yet the police say that the video footage is not enough to connect the vandalism to her. I would... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 16, 2020

It depends on the nature of the communications. As for the photos, you would have to connect her to the damage somehow.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: What action to take when forcibly kicked out with no notice?

My landlord on a month to month single room rental that had no lease kicked me out of the house mid month with rent completely paid up to the end of month. He gave no notice at all and forced me to leave immediately without getting all of my belongings, he also forced me to give back my house key... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jun 16, 2019

You may want to bring a claim for damages in Small Claims Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: Can I sue a news station for publishing the name of a family member that caused his life to be I danger?

A news station published a picture and a name of a family member along with his criminal charges and this has caused his life to be in danger. What can I do?

Courtney Edwards
Courtney Edwards answered on Jan 24, 2019

Unless what the new station published was false and they knew it was false or were completely reckless with regard to the truthfulness of the report, no, you cannot sue. That is public information and the press is protected by the First Amendment.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: can be forced to take my info off their site.

I was arrested in CO several years ago and case was completely dismissed/record sealed. A google search of my name turned up my info on this site. I sent in inquiry to the site asking for removal as I was never convicted or even tried (case was thrown out). they offered to remove for... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Apr 27, 2017

I am not familiar with the law you are referring to (it may exist, I just may not have heard about it), but there is likely a jurisdictional problem with Colorado having power over you and potentially the website (as you noted). I cannot check the statute to see if Colorado can assert protection... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: I was evicted I counterclaimed the landlord didn't show up I got default judgement do I win my claim?

The landlord didn't show up at the possession hearing and now filed a motion for re-do. I got possession for default judgement but do I also win my counterclaim I filed with my eviction answer. And is there a re-do in court without a court of appeal giving a second bite at the apple. I'm... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Mar 23, 2017

A default judgment (which is what occurs when a party does not appear without cause) does mean you "won" the case. You should review any final materials you received from the court (they usually say "Final Orders" or something like that) to see exactly what the judge awarded.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Current apartment manager put false info on my credit report says we were evicted 7 time from place we still live at

The report state seven evictions for property we still live at late fee is 100 firstday and ten every day to paid. Trying to move lease up March 30i can't find place until credit is fixed I have never been evicted and have no judgements with the court appfolio is investigating but I'm... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Feb 28, 2017

There are civil means to punish a party who wrongfully places items on a credit report. This is best discussed with a lawyer on an individual basis and will not produce immediate results. For faster results contact the credit reporting agencies about making a claim for inaccurate or false... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Hi, I believe I am going through a Libel crime situation I need advise and I'm not at fault
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Feb 3, 2017

Libel is not a criminal matter, but a civil claim. Libel is the publishing of untrue/incorrect information to 3rd parties that causes direct harm (beyond simple emotional distress). Libel and slander cases are fact-specific claims, you will need to contact a lawyer directly to evaluate the strength... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Libel & Slander, Sexual Harassment and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: If a sugar daddy begins only agreeing to pay if sexual acts are administered, can you sue?
Samuel Ventola
Samuel Ventola answered on Aug 16, 2016

This is actually a civil law issue, rather than criminal. You can only sue a "sugar daddy" for "payment" if you have an enforceable contract. The contract need not necessarily be in writing, but it might be difficult to prove that there was an oral contract like this. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: What rights do i have if boss fabricates lie about me?

I found out one of my bosses fabricated a lie about me and my spouse to other bosses of the firm? I was not present when it happened.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on May 11, 2016

There is slander/liable. In an employment context, you would need to provide evidence that the false statements negatively impacted you at work. In either case you will need a lawyer because these are technical and fact-driven legal claims.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Being aggresivly slandered by former employer as of 7 days ago. Have not contacted him or retaliated. What do today ?
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Dec 13, 2015

Contact a lawyer. Slander is not an easy claim and a lawyer will need to review the specifics of your case. Review CRS 13-25-124 and 13-25-125.5 for the specific court procedures at: .

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Is reading my wife's email illegal?

A family member has been writing emails to my wife about someone else. Is it admissible in court for a libel claim?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Oct 14, 2015

Reading is arguably not illegal, provided you are not hacking to gain access. For admissibility of the email/texts it depends. The best approach is to have an attorney request the texts/emails. Be aware that libel/slander requires conduct that shocks the conscience and/or harmed your reputation... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: My ex is telling everyone that I am a meth addict. I am not and have taken a hair follicle test. What can I do

We are in a custody battle, I requested the drug tests myself and have already taken and passed mine. He won't stop telling people I am a junkie and an addict or a dead beat mother.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Oct 14, 2015

Ah divorces... it brings out the best in people. From a legal perspective, you husband can make the claim and a court may (emphasis MAY) order a review (be aware that you can recover attorney fees and court cost if it is subsequently shown your ex is abusing the judicial system). As for your... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.