Piscataway, NJ asked in Bankruptcy for Mississippi

Q: If my wife and I file a chp 7 bankruptcy in MS can we exempt two vehicles if they are both less than $10,000?

I have a truck worth $4,000 and she has a car worth $3,500 and there are no liens on either vehicle, can we keep both of them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Gambrell
Robert Gambrell
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Hernando, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Each of you are entitled to exempt up to $10,000.00 worth of tangible personal property, including such items as cash on hand, household goods, tools of the trade, animals, motor vehicles, medically prescribed items, and anything other than the listed items that has a value of less than $200.00. If both vehicles are titled in jointly in you and your wife, then each of you would use $3,750.00 of your $10,000.00 exemption on the autos. If the truck is in your name only and the wife is titled jointly in both names, then you would use $5,750.00 of your $10,000.00 exemption limit while your wife will only use $1,750.00 of her $10,000.00 on the autos.

You should not take an action transferring the vehicles prior to filing the bankruptcy even if both are in just your name or just her name. Before you do that, you need to make an appointment with an experienced bankruptcy attorney that handles both chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.