Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Arizona

Q: Am I still able to get mine and my husband's dog back?

My dad had gotten a house with his ex-girlfriend and kids and wanted to have my dog there as a watch dog for a little while, however now they are broken up and she has my husband and I's dog. It has been about a year she's had him now and have been having trouble getting him back. He is registered under pet link registration under our name and we adopted him from a shelter which we still have all our paperwork. Is he legally still my dog since we never stated we gave her the dog and was only suppose to be temporarily as a watch dog?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If it's your dog and your didn't give or sell him, you should be able to get him back or sue for the value. But the other person's story might be that it was a gift, who knows. A local animal lawyer can advise. Small claims court might be an option.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.