Palatine, IL asked in Education Law for Illinois

Q: Can I request settlement? It was never my intention to sue.

I sued a school for wrongful dismissal in Nov 2014. The dismissal was December 2013. Depositions are scheduled for early December 2015. I have since joined another professional school that gave me two options:

1) Accept some of my transfer credits but will still have to go by their block system - graduating 4 years later (No really gain for me)

2) Or supervise the remaining classes (all practicum) on behalf of my ex-school and graduate from my ex-school. To do that, the ex-school will need to approach my new school and ask for that.

This second option can only happen if I am re-admitted back into the program.

I have spent $12,500 on the lawsuit so far, my lawyer says he has a good feel for the case. He wants $5000 now then later $10,000. I on the hand just wanted to get my doctorate degree and keep going.

I believe the school would like the second alternative. My lawyer says that can be presented later. Later means more money. Should I reach out to the school? Judge? who?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you have an attorney on the case, let the attorney handle settlement negotiations. The school's attorneys cannot talk to you directly.

And I find it very hard to believe your statement that you never intended to sue. That suggests that your attorney filed the suit without your permission. Again, doubtful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.