Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law, Contracts and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: can you sue a Montessori school if something happens to your child?

My son is attending a Montessori school and they had me sign a contract stating that I can’t sue them ever even if something happens due to their negligence

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Feb 28, 2022

It depends on the contract language and how your child was injured. ALL of the details and a copy of the contract need to be reviewed by an attorney before it is possible to provide a meaningful answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Illinois on
Q: Our school is going to force us to run outside in 99 degree weather in circles with our mask on is this legal

They say it is punishment for not "social distancing enough" and say we have no choice but to run and are going to force us

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda answered on Aug 25, 2020

It's called Physical Education. It is a recommended course under the federal guidelines.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Illinois on
Q: Can I sue a medical school for fraud or discrimination? I was dismissed due to poor grades from a mental disability.

I was diagnosed with OCD my first year of medical school. I failed three classes my first semester and the school told me to take time off and come back the next year. I came back and passed two semesters but then failed another class the semester after that. Once again, they told me to take time... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Aug 9, 2019

This is a question to ask an attorney licensed to practice in Indiana, not Illinois.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Illinois on
Q: I need to contact a lawyer who specializes in education law - specifically ACT/SAT fraudulent practices - class action.

Possible illegal practices by ACT testing corporation... I have other individuals who have met with arbitrary accusations of cheating on the SAT test.

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Nov 2, 2018

It seems a little unusual that ACT testing would risk their reputation with illegal practices. That being said, if you have an actual class action suit, most litigation attorneys are eager to take class action suit. Especially, if the case has merit.

Keep in mind, you only need a single...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: Last spring I was at my kids school volunteering for kickball, got hurt in my left eye with the ball, was blind for 7hrs

I ended up in ER, school nurse promised that district will cover my bills and made us fill reimbursement form. School denied paying any bills incurred, what can I do now? I am stay at home mom and don’t have money to pay the bills almost $1000.

Steve McCann
Steve McCann answered on Apr 26, 2018

It depends on very specific details surrounding the injury and whether or not a party was negligent. That being the case, I recommend you organize everything in your possession relevant to this matter, including all medical records, and consult with a personal injury lawyer for a consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: can i get a informal station adjustment for finding a coat on the ground in school then giving it back when asked aboutI

I was in school and saw a jacket laying on the floor for about an hour unattended, then grabbed it. Yes my intention was to take it but if I was pressed about it I would of course give it back. A couple hours later I got called down to the deans and asked about it. I then said yes and handed the... Read more »

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Mar 1, 2018

Correct action. Theft is theft. What if it was at walmart? You would have been arrested.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Education Law for Illinois on
Q: Do I need to sign a form if I'm now NOT taking time from work for a previously scheduled procedure that I cancelled?

Basically, I asked for 3 days off for a very minor procedure. I have the days. I work in a Catholic School. They wanted documentation from a doctor. I have major privacy issues in this school. Even though HIPPA was again explained (which I know all about it), I chose to not have the procedure... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Dec 11, 2017

Employers these days do everything they can to protect themselves. They are highly likely telling you the truth, that having you sign the document is simply intended to prevent you from claiming they wouldn't give you the time off later on. From the employer's viewpoint, it makes perfect... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Education Law and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: In Illinois how do I sue a school for intimidation, harassment & discrimination?
Steve McCann
Steve McCann answered on Mar 23, 2017

It is certainly a challenge, particularly if it is a school funded by any state or local government. I would recommend consulting with an attorney individually for a consultation if you truly believe the school is liable to you for damages.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: In Illinois is it legal to wear a body camera in a school with the intent to stop bullying? I am at a private highschool
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Mar 22, 2017

The rules are whatever the school says. Ask them.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: If my dorm room is so cold that I get sick, can I sue the school is I have proof I asked them to turn the air down?

I am really sick right now so I could easily get a doctors statement. I also have the email of me asking the woman over housing to turn the air down. She said she'd send someone out, but nothing is done.

Jonathan Damashek
Jonathan Damashek answered on May 5, 2016

It would be difficult to show a causal connection to the temperature of your door room and you getting sick.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Illinois on
Q: Can I request settlement? It was never my intention to sue.

I sued a school for wrongful dismissal in Nov 2014. The dismissal was December 2013. Depositions are scheduled for early December 2015. I have since joined another professional school that gave me two options:

1) Accept some of my transfer credits but will still have to go by their block... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 29, 2015

If you have an attorney on the case, let the attorney handle settlement negotiations. The school's attorneys cannot talk to you directly.

And I find it very hard to believe your statement that you never intended to sue. That suggests that your attorney filed the suit without your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Illinois on
Q: I received Court Supervision for a Dui of Marijuana case, is my supervision violated for a speeding ticket on a sus LIC?

Even if I didn't know my license was suspended? And should I be worried about going to jail?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 16, 2015

Get an attorney. You should have known that your license was suspended. Were you also charged with driving on a suspended license? The attorney you speak with will be able to tell you whether to worry about going to jail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.