Ewa Beach, HI asked in Family Law for Hawaii

Q: do i have legal rights to my husbands bank account (not a joint acc) to buy food for my kids and me? Hawaii/military

I am a shm with 3 kids, seperated because he is psychol. And phys. Abusive. He is not paying me any money. He is paying for rent and all major bills. Do i have the right to transfer money from his acc. To mine (it's not a joint acc)? I would keep records that it's used for food. Just enough so my kids and me have something to eat and gas. We live in hawaii/he is in the millitary

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: No. If you are not on the account, you can't draw funds from it.

You need to file suit for legal separation (if allowed in your state) or divorce. Then you may be able to get a court order requiring him to support you and your children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.