Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: Am i required to take a UA because I am on supervise release even though i havent been sentenced or charged yet?

I was released on supervise release and part of my terms and conditions is to call a number and if my color is called i need to go in a give them a Urine sample. If i havnt actually been sentence for the crime yet can they really tell me i need to do a UA?

Even if they have no reason to... Read more »

Michael Fayard
Michael Fayard answered on Jan 25, 2020

Unfortunately, yes. You can be required to provide a UA if it is part of your pre-trial release. Generally, it is mandatory if the court ordered it. Sometimes a motion can be filed to change the terms and conditions of the pre-trial release, but you would need a good reason to drop the potential... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Hawaii on
Q: Application from informal appointment of personal representative without will

Served today, dad passed 2012, wife put restraining order and wasn't able to pay for probate to fight for our dad's property back

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Dec 21, 2019

Your post contains only statements of fact, no question capable of being answered. Please repost in the form of a question.

Please understand, however, that this forum is for questions of a general nature. If you need help with your individual facts and circumstances, usually a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Hawaii on
Q: What reasons would warrant jail time for a hit and run?

I was driving without my license and hit a parked vehicle. No one was injured but both my vehicle and the other vehicle suffered damages. I did not stop and proceeded my house 3 blocks down to retrieve my wallet and wanted to calm down before I headed back to see the owners of the vehicle. After... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 4, 2019

You can make a claim that while you technically left the scene you were in the viscinity getting your ID etc. If you left a note on the vehicle you could fight the ticket. Make sure your insurance covers it and a judge may let you off as you agree you did it, went to get your insurance... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Probate for Hawaii on
Q: power of attorney was given to me by my nephew who has since passed away. Does his death mean the POA is invalid?
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Nov 25, 2019

A power of attorney usually dies with the person.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Hawaii on
Q: Hi I have basically recreated a picture of an elephant I saw on shutter stock for my business logo. Am I ok legally?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 23, 2019

Try reposting in the Copyright and Trademark sections. This is something practitioners in those areas would know about. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Hawaii on
Q: I was hit by a van that wrecked my car. He was covered by Far mers Insurance. They refuse to help me because they can't

Contact their client. Can I sue Farmers for not fixing my car. They just ignore me

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 19, 2019

You could do that, or you might be able to go through your carrier in a first-party claim, depending on your policy. If your policy covers the loss, your carrier could then pursue damages through the other driver's policy (provided that liability is conceded by Farmers - which seems to be an open... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Hawaii on
Q: I filed a police report for Unauthorized computer access, because perpetrators were hacking onto my security cameras.

The Detective said there was a cliche with my system. We contacted tech support and they said it's not a cliche. Due to an increase in hacking of our system we filed a 2nd report. Without contacting us and only looking at the evidence we summited in our report. The investigator has concluded... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 14, 2019

glitch not cliche

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Hawaii on
Q: I have a vandalism claim on my vehicle of over $11,000 it has been almost 2 months and they keep stringing me along.

The vandalism was a gas contaminant of regular fuel in a diesel truck. the gas tank was nearly empty at time of occurrence and i have bank statements send the the insurance company of my gas purchases. Recently, they said they need the physical receipt to proceed with the claim, but since they did... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 14, 2019

You've been without the vehicle now for two months. It could make sense to set up a consult with an attorney. If an attorney succeeds in getting past the issues you're currently having with the receipts and is able to make arrangements for an experienced property damage adjustor to investigate the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: Stated in my lease, I can break without penalty if I find mold and I found black mold... how do I terminate

I also had requested a mold test which was denied and asked for mold remediation of the shower which took months. I’ve suffered now from sinus issues, allergies, esophagitis and had to pay to an ent out of pocket and am worried about all of the toxic spores we’ve now been exposed to. How do I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 10, 2019

In terms of the personal injury aspect of your question, you'll have to see if you could arrange a free initial consult with a Hawaii personal injury attorney who could review your records and what information is available on the mold. The problem with these types of cases is that establishing the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Hawaii on
Q: I inherited 50% of a property as tenant in common 6 years ago. I never lived there. Do I owe money to current occupant?

Sibling was executor of our mothers' estate and moved his family in immediately after she died. I never received a deed. I lived out of state with my husband at the time. There is no tenants agreement. Sibling unable to buy me out at that time. I did not ask for compensation for him and his family... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 5, 2019

If you did not sign the note for the current debt, then you are not personally liable on it. If you did not sign the mortgage that secures the current debt, then your share of the property is not liable for the current debt either.

If your sibling insists that you pay for half of the...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Defense for Hawaii on
Q: Is the owner of a motor vehicle liable for damage caused by an insured driver of that vehicle?

Here the driver is insured under the policy and hits a pedestrian causing serious bodily injury in excess of the $20,000 uninsured motorist coverage. The owner of the vehicle was not present at the accident. The owner of the vehicle lent the vehicle to the driver and put the driver on the insurance... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 22, 2019

I would argue that they are not, but their insurance is--in most states the owners insurance is primary.

But in most states for you to be personally responsible other things have to be shown.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Hawaii on
Q: My truck got towed from kewalo boat harbor in honolulu Hawaii. Theres no tow away signs posted anywhere. What can I do?

I'm having a hard time getting it back because of expired registration

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 8, 2019

You could get the best input from an attorney in Honolulu, but your question is open for a week and your truck could be incurring storage fees by the day in a municipal tow pound. And you already identified the issue as the vehicle registration. Concentrate efforts on that. In terms of the signage,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: My brother was deported to the Philippines due to criminal activity. Can he come to Hawaii for our older brother funeral

Youngest brother was not a U.S. citizen and he was in a Federal Prison for less than a year prior to his deportation.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 26, 2019

He would need permission from the federal government. You can apply

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Hawaii on
Q: How do I enforce a last will and testament
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 21, 2019

You petition the local court to probate the will. Once the court accepts it as the decedent’s last will and testament the executor appointee by the court administers the will and, if need be, enforced it with the power of the court.

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Hawaii on
Q: My dad pass away on April 2019 from falling on federal property post office and due to his death the put up lights

Where he had pass away at die from broken spin injuring there only two way u can that either in massive car accident or a massive fall Our world not been the same so now we have no parents living no more I

I still see him laying there on ground every night and wish to see if I have case

Ronald Dean Gresham
Ronald Dean Gresham answered on Sep 13, 2019

I am sorry to hear about your Father's death. Any claim against the federal government would be governed by the Federal Tort Claims Act. You can read about the Act here:

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: I, us citizen in Hawaii, and my spanish partner are tobe married. How soon can she move to us and what do we need todo?

We would like to know what her pathway to residency and work in Hawaii will look like once we are married, and how long the processes will take. I've heard that unique laws exist for this circumstance in HI.

If you are a US citizen, then you can sponsor your fiance for a K1 visa and then when she enters Hawaii, you must marry within 90 days, after which she can adjust status to obtain her LPR. A lawyer should be retained to handle the case and said lawyer can be anywhere in the USA. Counsel begins the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Hawaii on
Q: If we are making payment and are keeping up with payment plans can the state garish my personal paycheck.

Business no longer making income for pass 5 years

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 29, 2019

When you setup an installment agreement that stops the garnishment, however it frequently happens that the paperwork is not processed correctly and the garnishment does not stop, If that's the case contact your employer to see if they are processing it and if they have not received any paperwork... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii on
Q: my great great uncles deceased, owned some land on the north shore of Oahu. Where and how can I show documents.

I have information birth death marriage certificates to prove proper identity. Is it legal without documents for someone else to sell, own or divide land or even lease it without title.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 24, 2019

Yes. As a matter of fact I have a bridge in New York City I would like to sell you.

On a more serious note, you need to find a Hawaii probate attorney to help you probate your uncle’s estate.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for Hawaii on
Q: I am 56 yr male. I have been butcher for 33 years,only profession I know. Have glaucoma for 15 years. Take 4 medicines

Daily. Right eye 20/200 with 70% loss of vision. Left eye 20/50 with 60% vision loss. Can I qualify ssdi

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 22, 2019

An attorney who deals with SSDI matters (and who could hopefully give you meaningful direction here) would have better chances of picking up your question if you added a couple of categories, or reposted. Try adding "Social Security" and "Public Benefits" to your categories. Or you could also... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Hawaii on
Q: Is it against the law to be on the beach in honolulu. Hi at anytime of the day in honolulu. Hawaii
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 17, 2019

If the person has the right to be on the beach during the hours it is open to the public or to residents and isn't violating any beach/park regs, it would seem to be within the law. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.