Saint Paul, MN asked in Public Benefits for Minnesota

Q: Do I have to pay back?

Hi, I am in a situation where I have to pay back $1,646.00 back to food stamps. My husband work 2 jobs, i only work one job. They stated that they did not receive my husband's second job pay stubs. They only put in as my husband working one job. So we had $230 worth of food stamps. My 6 months was up so I sent in my report form and received this "collection" notice today. They said they are at fault for not doing things right, but still want me to pay them the money back. I feel like since its their fault I shouldn't have to pay a penny. Or am I wrong?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Have you read all of the fine print of all the things you signed when you applied for food stamps? I will be that there is a clause that says that if they make a mistake and they give you too many food stamps, you have to reimburse them. It is certainly better to pay them back than to have criminal charges lodged against you for food stamp fraud, isn't it?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.