Boise, ID asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho

Q: Am I legally allowed to lock the door to my room if I pay my parents rent to live there(age=20)

I'm 20, almost 21, have a job, going to college, was briefly in the military, came out, had nowhere to go, had to move back in with parents, I pay my mother 200$ a month in rent to live there and she tells me suddenly I can't lock my door because it's her house and disrespectful, I'm 20 for gods sakes I NEED my door locked because nobody in the house respects my privacy otherwise. Do I have any legal rights as a tenant in a situation like this? Do I actually count as a tenant if I never signed anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You are a tenant-at-will (also known as a month-to-month tenant). Because you don't have a lease, your mother (as landlord) doesn't have to provide a lock on your door and normally you would need the landlord's permission to install one. If you do so anyway, she can evict you.

Note that the landlord-tenant acts in the several states are generally written with renting exclusive occupancy rights in mind. Room and board, or living in a bedroom which is a part of a larger residential unit is usually not what the legislators had in mind when the LL/t act was written, so these laws are applied on an ad-hoc, make-fit basis.

If you and your mother can't agree on a written lease with the provisions you like, I suggest that you move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.